01 June 2014

To Barcelona, I Go! {Day One}


BCN Bound!


Traveling is the lifeblood of my soul.  Hence the moniker Vagabond.  The last couple of years though, I had been quite still.  Still in the sense that most of my traveling was to my hometown, or my husband's hometown, or fairly locally.  I really hadn't gone very far to explore a foreign place in much too long.  So when a dear friend told me she was going to Barcelona, Spain for a work conference - I naturally invited myself!

My trip was quite short.  A Saturday overnight in Philadelphia {because the flights I planned to standby on did not line up well.  Fortunately, my in-laws happen to live close by.} and 3 nights in Catalonia!  Catalonia {or Catalunya} is where Barcelona is located, within Spain.  I'm no historian, but I kind of liken it to the way the US is split into states.  Barcelona = Dallas, Catalonia = Texas, Spain = USA.  Make sense?  {Just to clarify though - Barcelona and Catalonia are NOTHING like Dallas or Texas.}  Catalonia also it's own language, Catalan, which is similar to Spanish.  This made reading signs a little bit of a fun challenge for me, as I have basic Spanish skills... so faking my way through Spanish is okay... but faking through Catalan... well, it was interesting!

Initially I had planned to crash at my friend's hotel room, but on my flight from Philadelphia to Barcelona I met a couple of flight attendants that work for the same airline that I do.  They were going to be there for the same amount of time and had rented a loft in the city center.  I learned that they had an open couch {and the location sounded perfect} so I sort of invited myself to share their loft!  It worked out brilliantly, as my friend's hotel was quite far out of city and had no public transit to it.




The alley where our flat was located
and the flight attendants that I stayed with.


I had a lot to cram into 3 days, so when I arrived Sunday morning off the red-eye, I dropped my things at the loft, said goodbye to my new friends {as they laid down for a nap} and hit the cobblestone sidewalks.  Thank goodness I brought "sensible shoes" because most of the sidewalks were bricks, cobblestones or the like - which made for very uneven walking all day long.

I walked to Casa Batllo, a house designed by Antoni Gaudi.  This was the first taste of what I learned was a very mixed architectural style in the city of Barcelona.  I'm not educated in anyway on architecture - so perhaps I can't appreciate this as much as others.  However the city has a very diverse style.  There are many Gaudi designed buildings, and {as you'll see through some of my photos}they're quite interesting and kind of Dr. Suess-like. I didn't think they felt natural though - they felt out of place.  The Gothic architecture was astonishing and the old world charm was heart-warming, so when I stumbled into Gaudi buildings here and there... I was almost disappointed!  Don't get me wrong, his buildings are are art themselves, but I just think I would be able to appreciate them more in a more modern city, like LA or San Francisco.



 Casa Batllo


Art in a Window


Random Cathedral on my Walk


I talked to a few people before I left for Barcelona that had come here before, and they all said to see Basilica de la Sagrada Familia.  So I walked there next.  I love churches, missions, monasteries and any sort of religious iconography.  So I'll never say no to seeing a church!  There were a bagillion people in line to get in - no lie!  I had read a few reviews online that said not to waste my time and money - so I didn't go in.  The outside of the basilica is stunning.  It is designed by Gaudi, as well, so it also quirky.  And it's also not finished.  They're still building it, and it seems like it's the project that will never end.  But it is beautiful, and certainly worth a peek.



La Sagrada Familia


La Sagrada Familia


Subway Stop - Catalan Man


From La Sagrada Familia I took the subway up to a very hilly neighborhood to explore a little and eventually make my way over to Park Guell.  The neighborhood is so hilly that they have outdoor escalators built into the hills to connect sidewalks on one hill to another!



Escalator on the Hillside


Hillside Neighborhood View


Hillside Neighborhood Ruins


 Mail Slot and Door Knocker - CARTAS


Park Guell is another Gaudi designed place in Barcelona.  My intentions were not to make this a Gaudi architecture trip, it just so happens that my first day itinerary {Yes, I made an itinerary!} included all of the Gaudi stops.  The park is beautiful and definitely worth a visit.  The part of the park that has most of Gaudi's buildings requires a paid admission and standing in a long line... which again, I chose to skip.  One part of this I found a little counter intuitive - the gift shop was in this paid access area.  So, needless-to-say I didn't buy anything from the park itself.  There are many, many independent gift shops at the foot of the park - so no worries, you will find plenty of gifts to buy!  One of these little shops is where I bought a beautiful, small wall clock.  It fits into my Hacienda-themed kitchen quite well!



View from the top of Park Guell


Park Guell


Park Guell
{This is the part you have to pay for - 
notice the fence I'm shooting over!}


Park Guell


Later in the evening, after a nap, I met my friend and her aunt for dinner, and strolled along Las Ramblas.  Dinner was amazing - we shared tapas and it was divine!  The Las Ramblas area is lively, but also very touristy.  There are tons and tons of restaurants - many with outdoor seating along Las Ramblas.

For more of Barcelona - please check out:
To Barcelona, I Go!  {Day Two}
To Barcelona, I Go!  {Day Three}

No comments:

Post a Comment