02 June 2014

To Barcelona, I Go! {Day Two}

Catedral de Barcelona
 
 
Day Two of my trip to Barcelona was focused on the Gothic Quarter - Barri Gotic.  This is the old city.  With bustling plazas, stunning architecture and a myriad of narrow, cobblestone streets and alleys to get lost in!

First stop was Catedral de Barcelona.  I did have a list of places that I would have liked to see {see Day Three for my map}, but a couple places were absolute musts for me.  Catedral de Barcelona was one of these musts.

A little back story - my father passed away 14 years ago, just a month before my first trip to Europe - Paris.  On this trip I lit a candle for him at the famed La Basilique du Sacre Couer de Montmartre.  {If you don't know the place, watch the French film Amelie - she visits in one scene.}  Since then, every time I have traveled to Europe {and every Mission I visit in California} I light a candle and say a prayer for my father.

The Catedral de Barcelona is home to the crypt of Saint Eulalia which for many is the draw.  There is also an incredible display of statues honoring dozens of saints and versions of Mary.  I came here for a different reason though.  The Catedral de Barcelona houses The Supulcre of Saint Raymond de Penyafort.  My maiden name {my father's surname} is Raymond.  At my wedding, I carried a Saint Raymond medallion to honor my father.  Of course I would see the tomb of Saint Raymond and light a candle for my dad.

Catedral de Barcelona

Catedral de Barcelona

 Catedral de Barcelona


From Catedral de Barcelona I roamed through the streets of the Gothic Quarter to the Picasso Museum.  Picasso is my favorite painter, specifically his Blue Period.  I dislike waiting in lines and crowds immensely, but it was worth it.  I don't have any photos, as they weren't allowed, but here are some of the alleys of the Gothic Quarter.


Gothic Quarter

 Gothic Quarter

 Gothic Quarter

Gothic Quarter

Gothic Quarter


After walking all day, my feet were tired, so I decided to try something new:  Aqua Bliss Fish Spa.  My friend had recently returned from Thailand and told me about this experience she had... putting her feet in a fish tank and letting the fish eat off the dead skin.  Yeah, I know.  It sounds so strange.  But when I saw this Fish Spa was right around the corner from my flat, I couldn't resist giving it a try!  What did it feel like?  Like Jacuzzi jet bubbles on the bottom of my feet.  It certainly didn't feel bad, but I don't know that it actually did anything.


Aqua Bliss Fish Spa


After my spa time I headed to Placa d'Espanya.  The draw was the nearby Font Magica {Magic Fountain}, a stunning water and light show.  Or so I've seen from photos.  Because even though I was diligent about checking days/hours of operation, when I got there it was not functioning.  The good news though, is it led me to the below arena/bull ring turned mall and the most delicious treats.. macarons!  Not a terrible way to end the evening after all.

Arenas in Placa d'Espanya 

 Enric Rosich Macarons


For more of Barcelona - please check out:
To Barcelona, I Go!  {Day One}
To Barcelona, I Go!  {Day Three}



No comments:

Post a Comment