03 June 2014

To Barcelona, I Go! {Day Three}



Day Three was fantastic, as I was able to spend the day with my friend and her aunt.  I love to explore alone, as I can go at my own pace and skip things I'm not interested in, but it is also quite wonderful to have someone to share new experiences with.

We first ventured to Castell de Montjuic.  It was just as you'd expect - a large, stone castle with great views of the Balearic Sea {I had to Google that!}.  But the most amazing thing was an art installation of pipes and a mirror... from just the right angle, it looks like a cross is reflecting the star of David.


Castell de Montjuic

 Castell de Montjuic {That's ME!}

 Castell de Montjuic {My friend's Aunt}

Castell de Montjuic


Our next stop was Tibidabo, on the outskirts of Barcelona.  The tallest hill overlooking the city, it also hosts Sagrat Cor, a Catholic church.  Local legend has it that Jesus was first tempted by the Devil here.  There is also an amusement park at the top of the hill, at the foot of the church.  And to get there you have to take a funicular, a tram-like vehicle.  


Avinguda del Tibidabo

 Funicular

 View during Funicular ride

Sagrat Cor, atop Tibidabo


After Tibidabo we ventured back to Las Ramblas and did a little shopping at Mercat de la Boqueria, a vibrant market filled with sweets, meats, produce and anything else you could want to eat.  All fresh and carefully arranged.  I bought some saffron for my sister and a pina colada smoothie for me.


Mercat de la Boqueria

 Mercat de la Boqueria


Here's an idea of what my planned places to see in Barcelona.  I ended up seeing all but the first two items on the list.  Not bad for a 3 day trip!



For more of Barcelona - please check out:
To Barcelona, I Go!  {Day One}
To Barcelona, I Go!  {Day Two}

2 comments: