04 June 2014

Shake, Rattle and Roll! A 1950s Birthday Party.

 
 
For my Mom's 75th birthday our family decided to throw a surprise party.  And a surprise it was!  She was incredibly shocked - something I didn't think our family could pull off because we're awful at keeping secrets!  It was such a beautiful event to share with our friends and family.  Even her local senator came and presented my Mom with a citation for her service to her state on behalf of The US Senate.  Her state governor also sent a letter of congratulations and thanks.  It was particularly special for me, as the party was held in the same place my husband and I got married, and we hadn't been back there since.  So we stole away for a few minutes to the gazebo we had our ceremony in and reconfirmed our vows to each other.

Back to the party!  Me being the creative-type, I was in charge of the decorations.  Here are some photos of the event decor. {Photos are by my sister, Frances Lydon of Lydon Crafts and Photos.}


 The Elvis and Black and White Checkerboard Table Runners I sewed from fabric bought at Hobby Lobby online.  The white frames are from IKEA.  


 The paper vintage cars are from etsy and filled with 50s themed candies and lollipops that looks like records.


 My husband cut little circles from music note craft paper and taped to the center of real records.  The Coca-Cola glasses are from Dollar Tree and filled with tissue paper, crinkle paper and a paper straw to resemble an ice cream float.








The favors were CDs that looked like old vinyl records, burned with a mix of 1950s music.  We also played a mix of 50s music throughout the event.




 The card table had a jukebox pinata from Target online with a large slit cut in the top to put the cards in.  There were also postcard size notes {lower right of the above photo} for guests to write their fond memories with my mother on.


 A small banner hung behind the card table, purchased from Vistaprint online.


 A DIY Soda Fountain was set up with Torani Vanilla Syrup, Grenadine Syrup, Coke and Sprite.




The cupcakes were designed and baked by my niece, Jessica Lydon of The Occasional Cupcake on Cape Cod, MA.  Delicious and adorable!  I love how she made little edible records for the blue frosted cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment