27 March 2015

Indiana {50 States of Yoga}


The traffic was moving so slow, I had plenty of time to be "Welcomed" to Indiana.


50% chance of an inch of snow turned into 100% chance of 5 inches...after I landed in Chicago, IL.   I started my Monday morning early.   Being originally from New England, I know snow.   I know that I need some extra time to clear off my rental car.   I know that the roads will be messing and the traffic slow.   I planned ahead and pulled out of my hotel parking lot at 8:13am.  To drive (according to my GPS) 1 hour and 18 minutes for a 10:30am yoga class in Indiana.  Even with the snow, I should have plenty of time. Or so I thought.

The snow was blizzard-like.  White out conditions in some parts. Cars were pulled off onto the shoulder.  I saw 2 collisions - 1 happened right in front of me. Traffic crawled along at 35-40 MPH, which was quite okay for me considering my "economy" death-trap rental car. But I made it to Crown Point, IN. Not on time... but in one piece.
 
My rental car... before diggin it out.


15 minutes late I try my best to quietly join a Gentle Yoga class at The Yoga Room.  After 2 and a half hours of high pressure driving, I couldn't have asked for a better class. It was slow, kind and peaceful. Gentle stretches for my back and shoulders allowed me to de-stress from my long drive and connect with my breathing.
 
 
 
After class I sat down with Mike Zolfo, the owner of The Yoga Room and my teacher that day.  I apologized profusely for my tardiness and told him about my journey down from Chicago and my 50 States of Yoga journey in general.  I inquired about the fee for class.  Mike offered it as a gift for my journey.  So kind.  I apologized again for being late {I felt really bad!} and he told me a story, that I will loosely express here.
 
 
 
Mike had a student of Indian decent that would travel 25 minutes each way to his class.  Often times she was 10 or 15 minutes late.  One day she arrived so late that there were just 5 minutes left to the class.  After class Mike pulled her aside and asked her why she would even bother driving 25 minutes to get just 5 minutes in class.  She said in her culture, any time with their teacher was important time.  So if she had to drive 25 minutes and would only get 2 minutes of class, she would drive.  Mike said, in other words, you're never late for my class.
 
That story really touched me.  Too many times I've been in a yoga class and watched the teacher lock the door as the class began - no more students allowed.  And that defeats the purpose of practice.  Sometimes people are late for uncontrollable reasons.  Sometimes they're controllable reasons and that is okay too.  The fact that people are reaching out to practice yoga with you should be enough.  And I thanked Mike then, and again now, for sharing this with me.
 
Crown Point, IN
I also asked Mike where to go for lunch.  The snow was still coming down outside, but was supposed to let up in an hour.  I had about 5 hours before my class in Wisconsin (roughly 2 hours away - without snowy roads), so I wasn't in much of a hurry.  Mike recommended an Indian restaurant, gave me directions and I was off.  Driving, reading road signs, and I'm pretty sure I missed a turn somewhere.  I drove and drove and drove. Made it through what felt like several towns and decided I must have missed the Indian restaurant.  I stopped at a Chinese restaurant instead.  It was average at best.  Although I was quite happy to find "duck sauce" there.  A sweet sauce (that I'm pretty sure is made with apple sauce) that we have at Chinese restaurants in the NorthEast... but not in California.  And I miss it.
 
Clearly I did not have the appropriate footwear.
The snow has stopped finally and I hit the road.  I see a cute little cabin... the Coffee Cabin... and decide I must stop and have a taste.  I asked the guy at the drive-thru what his favorite was.  He said today he felt like salted caramel.  So one salted caramel iced coffee later, I was on the road heading North toward Illinois.  Oh, and hey.. if you're ever in Schereville, IN swing by Coffee Cabin.  Their coffee is delicious and their employees very friendly.
 
 
 
I made a slight detour en route from Indiana to Wisconsin to a Land's End Inlet (their cute way of saying Outlet).  I love Land's End.  I order from them regularly.  So when I saw an outlet it was like a moth to a flame.  I tried on a lot of clothes but didn't quite find anything right for me.  I was impressed, however, that they had such a large selection of plus sizes.  Naturally, I found something to buy.  These absolutely gorgeous leopard print, calf hair smoking slippers!  I know, I know.  Calf hair.  How could I?  Original price $95 and I got them for $18.  That's how.  They're stunning and I'll wear them for years.  Because... well... leopard!
 
 
 
Back on the road, almost to the Wisconsin border and I spot roller coasters in the distance!  What!?!  Six Flags Great America!  I don't know why I was so surprised to see the theme park.  It's not like I know where every theme park on earth is.  {But my friend Carl does and most certainly has been to this one.}  I was bummed for a minute that it was snow covered and closed.  It has the fastest wooden roller coaster {in the US.. on earth.. ever??  I don't know... just the fastest}.  I must come back.  Maybe's next year's pilgrimage will be to roller coasters.
 
 
Check out the other states from this trip - Wisconsin and Illinois... or all my 50 States of Yoga adventures!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment