17 March 2015

DIY Yoga Mat Cleaner


I had never really thought too much about cleaning my yoga mat.  I hadn't considered all the germs, sweat and funk from my own home and various studios that could be {or is} collecting on my mat.  

During my most recent 50 States of Yoga trip I discovered yoga studios asking patrons to use a mat cleaning spray after practice to clean down the studio's mats.  Well, that just makes sense.  Especially in a studio on shared mats!

But... taking it one step further.  At home I use my own mat at local studios and on my own {not always vacuumed} floor at home.  Shouldn't I be cleaning my mat too?  Yeah... definitely!


DIY Yoga Mat Cleaner

The formula is quite simple.

  • 3 parts Water
  • 1 part Witch Hazel {cleaning agent}
  • Essential Oils - such as Lavender, Eucalyptus, Peppermint and/or Tea Tree{disinfecting agent} 

In my little bottle above I have 10 drops of Eucalyptus oil and 5 drops of Peppermint oil.  I love the uplifting combo of these two essential oils.

And that's it!  Give it a good shake before use.  Spray liberally on your mat and wipe down with a clean cloth.  Let dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment