28 March 2015

Wisconsin {50 States of Yoga}

  
 
The snow gods subsided their fury and it took me less time to get to Wisconsin from Indiana, than it did from Chicago to Indiana.... TWICE as far!

As I crossed over the Wisconsin border I stopped at the rest area and grabbed a water from the vending machine.  $5 bill in resulted in 4 dollar coins out.  4 different dollar coins.  2 women and 2 men.  I noticed they had put the names of the men on our coins, but not the women.  Not a problem for me, because I recognize Susan B. Anthony and Sacagewea.. but it's a good thing the men's names were included because I had no idea who they were!



 
My GPS states I am just 15 minutes away from my class but I am 45 minutes early.  I decide to head in that direction anyway because, if nothing else, this 50 States of Yoga experience has taught me that yoga studios are hard to find!  They're hidden away in complexes, multi-floor buildings and, in this case, the basement of a hair salon.  Yup.  You read that right.  I arrived to Yogarithm Studios, parked in the back lot and sat there.  Figuring I was 30 minutes early, that it was too early to go inside.  But in the next 5 minutes I saw 5 people arrive and enter... so I asked if they were already open and was invited inside.


"Inside" is a hair salon through which you enter the side door.  From there you can see on the far wall the below sign indicating where to go for your yoga experience.  Honestly, hair salon smells aren't my favorite.  I was quite surprised then to find that smell does not make it down the stairs into the studio.  What does make it down the stairs though is a group of very friendly people.  I'm a bit of an introvert and have a hard time striking up conversations in groups.  I'm much better one to one or in small groups of 3 or 4.  So it's not so easy for me to try to socialize before classes and get to know my fellow yogis.  Not the case in Kenosha, WI.  Folks were very friendly and I appreciated that quite a bit.

 
I was there for the Relax/Beginner class.  Our instructor, and studio owner, Melissa began the class by serving us tea and asking us to set an intention.  Today, my intention was Love.  Specifically, love for my husband.  We began class and it was just perfect.  I felt so present on my mat.  I felt very strong in my poses and the holding of poses was just the perfect length for me.  {Occasionally I come down from poses before the next sequence because my wrists hurt or I feel too strained.}  I didn't feel overwhelmed.  I felt part of the flow.  It was quite a wonderful class experience for me.
 
{source}
 
At the end of class during savasana Melissa asked us to recall our intention again and read to us the below poem from Petals of the Lotus by Elise Cantrell.  The poem spoke to me.  As I envisioned sending love to my husband in that space through space to his space I listened to the poem.  As she went on, I felt so connected to it.  Like it was written to me.  A love letter from she to me.  Almost permission to accept that all this time... all these travels... all these miles have led me back to me.  Inside me is where I am home.  My adventures have led me to my heart.  Dave is in my heart.  Dave is my home.
{source}

{source}

Savasana ended.  All the wonderful ladies of Wisconsin said goodbye and wished me luck on my journey.  It was a beautiful journey, at that.  Right there, in just an hour's time.  I felt strong.  I felt full.  I felt love.  I left Kenosha, likely never to return, but to always hold space for it in my heart.


Check out the other states from this trip - Indiana and Illinois... or all my 50 States of Yoga adventures!


 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing my book, Petals of the Lotus and my Poem 'Paradise!" If you ever find yourself in the Kohler, WI area, I'd love for you to be a guest at Shining Lotus Yoga and Wellness Many blessings on your yoga journey around the country! Namaste,
    Elise Cantrell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the invitation! It would be my pleasure to visit if/when I am in your neck of the woods. ~Danielle

    ReplyDelete