17 August 2014

Creating Healthy Habits {Physical Health}

"It's no coincidence that four of the six letters in healthy are 'heal'." Ed Northstrum {Vagabond Zen}



I have started to clear my life of unhealthy habits, but what about creating good, healthy habits?  I am working on those, too.  I have it divided between physical health and mental health so far, but I may add more categories another time.  Perhaps spiritual health?  Yes, that would be an excellent healthy category!


My physical health is really what started this whole thing.  I am overweight {obese according to some number scale my doctor uses}.  I am easily fatigued, have achy joints, and an abnormal bowel movement schedule {TMI?}.  But the one thing that set me over the edge - I started having heart palpitations.  About six months ago I got this incredibly foreign feeling in my chest.  My heart was racing, like hummingbird wings, and I couldn't stop it.  After about 30 seconds it stopped.  I felt light headed.  Dizzy.  My breath was labored - maybe from this, maybe from fear... I don't know.  But I was afraid.  I did an incredible amount research online and talked to my sister who had a similar experience.  The most important thing I learned was I need to change my habits.  So I took that information... and sat on it.  For months.  And then I had several more episodes and realized I have to do something.  Now.  I have to quit smoking and drinking caffeine.  I have to eat healthier and exercise.  I have to take care of my whole body, mind and soul.  And so I am doing just that.

So what kind of healthy habits for my physical well being am I adding to my life? Flossing. Ha! Yes... flossing. I never flossed.... or rather I flossed once a month, on average. Which, as my dentist pointed out, isn't nearly enough. So, about 6 weeks ago, I added the good habit of flossing daily! I've only missed 2 days... out of shear laziness... but I think I have now successfully created a healthy habit!

My next healthy habit goal is exercise. I hate to exercise. I love my couch. I love zoning out in front of the TV... on my couch! But, that isn't exactly helping me feel better. So - I joined a gym last week! And I don't particularly like the idea of gyms... so this wasn't easy for me. I am self-conscious. I do feel fat. I don't like the idea that people are looking at me and judging me. So - my first step is to stop being so gosh darn self-centered! No one is looking at me. No one is judging me. The reality is - we're all so wrapped up in ourselves... we're not looking at other people... we're too absorbed in ourselves! Once I can fully accept this to be true... {and remind myself that anyone who might be judging me has their own issues to deal with} then I can be more free at the gym. In the mean time, I have a personal trainer - and in just one visit {so far} she has made me realize I am very out of shape! I guess this is really a double challenge for me - keeping my spirits/self-confidence high and getting physically fit. By the way - I owe this latest challenge to my niece. She has spent the last several months working extremely hard in a boot camp-style program and learning how to eat healthy. During this time she has lost an incredible amount of weight and is glowing - from the inside out. She has become an incredible inspiration to me and I am so very proud of her.


What sort of physical healthy habits are you working towards?
Who in your life is inspiring you to make a change?


"It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold or silver." Mahatma Gandhi {Vagabond Zen}

No comments:

Post a Comment