24 June 2014

My Own Happiness Project ~ Seven Personal Virtues




I've started reading The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.  And although I haven't finished it yet, it has inspired me to make my own list.  If you haven't read her book yet, it is basically a year in her life in which every month she makes a list of goals for herself to follow - and then tries to continue each month's goals throughout her year.  The goals are to help her be happier.  She doesn't admit to being depressed {so far}, as much as she claims she could use a little more happy in their lives.  And I agree - who wouldn't want more happiness!



Early on in The Happiness Project, Gretchen Rubin mentions the 7 Deadly Sins and how they're the gateway sins to worse sins.  I hadn't really considered it that way before, but thought if the 7 Deadly Sins would lead me down a path to worse things, then what if I followed 7 ideals opposite of the sins... would that lead me to happiness?



I didn't know that there were already 7 opposites known as the 7 Heavenly Virtues.  And although they're perfectly wonderful virtues, they don't all fit well with my life.  Can I pick and choose my virtues?  I don't know - but I did!  I've created the below list of my Seven Personal Virtues that I plan to read and journal on everyday, and remind myself of the kind of life I hope to leave.




Seven Personal Virtues
{corresponding Deadly Sin}

Purity {lust} - Cultivate good health and hygiene. Flossing, exercise, whole foods. Meditate to achieve purity of thought.

Self Control {gluttony} - Refrain from being distracted and influenced by hostility, temptation or corruption. Specifically for me - practice moderation with addictions such as sugar, caffeine and nicotine.

Generosity {greed} - Practice unlimited loving kindness towards all others. Give from the heart.  Be generous with affection.

Energy {sloth} - Do not give up. Guard against laziness. Act as I want to feel. Move. Create.

Ahimsa {wrath} - Do No Harm. Be conscious of my deeds, words and thoughts - not only the act of inflicting a physical injury, but also mental states like evil thoughts and hatred, unkind behavior such as harsh words, dishonesty and lying.

Kindness {envy} - Love unselfishly. Trust without resentment or prejudice. Create peaceful stability and community.

Humility {pride} - Be modest. Be faithful to promises. Give credit. Self-examine.


......


Have you read The Happiness Project?  What did you think?  Have you made changes to your own life based on the experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment