28 August 2013

Bedroom Redecorating Continues...

You might recall a couple years ago when I upholstered my dresser drawer fronts with burlap from our wedding reception table runners and painted the body of the dresser brown.  If not, here's a link:
http://vagabondzen.blogspot.com/2011/07/home-decor-crafting.html

Sad to say, our adorable kitties thought my creation was created for them.. for scratching.  It didn't take long before they tore apart the sides of the dresser drawers and left them looking pretty gnarly.  Own cats?  Don't upholster furniture.  Lesson learned.

Last summer I started redecorating our bedroom... making it less country/minimal and more bohemian/eclectic.  I needed a boost of color! We painted the walls a deep teal and slowly I began redecorating with homemade curtains, lots of pillows, a lovely new quilt and painting our nightstand bright orange.  (See the links below for photos.)
http://vagabondzen.blogspot.com/2013/03/our-bohemian-valances.html
http://vagabondzen.blogspot.com/2013/03/scrap-fabric-pillow-slip-cover.html

What I hadn't gotten around to doing... for more than a year.. was refinish the dresser.  Removing the burlap just seemed daunting.  And so, due to a sick kitty and having to cut my summer vacation short by nearly a week (long story), I was home the last few days with not a lot to do.  Finally, I finished my dresser!

I painted the body white and sanded the drawer fronts down through 3 layers of paint to a layer of stain.  Admittedly, I got a little tired by the time I got to the stain and decided to work with it.  So, here it is - my "new" dresser!






And a couple other "new" things in our bedroom.  I've started using a mason jar to hold/organize my bangle bracelets.




And this is a piece of driftwood Dave and I found on the beach.  Dave made it into a necklace display for me and now it hangs next to my dresser.






No comments:

Post a Comment