04 November 2010

What do you want from me!?!?



I've never been one to pick up on signs easily.

Even when a star fell in the Berkeley sky behind Dave's head within minutes of meeting him it took me a few weeks to realize that was my sign - he was the one.

So what are the gods trying to tell me now??

Last night, on my BART ride home, just as we exited the trans-bay tunnel into the East Bay, the woman sitting next to me (who had been happily tuned out with her ear buds blaring horrible rap music) shouted to me, "It's so pretty!" And pointed out the window frantically.

Um, what? I thought.

"The sun... behind the things... the clouds! It's so pretty!"

"Uh, yeah.. yes it is." I managed to get out of my mouth. Sure, the sunset was stunning, but we often have stunning sunsets in California. I was more shocked that this woman was talking to me, than in awe of the beautiful sunset.

Fast forward to my morning commute to work today. I'm almost to work, just left the stop before mine... and another woman I do not know blurts out to me, "It's so beautiful!"

I think I was actually prepared for it this time, though. We proceeded to have a five minute conversation about the little things in life. She mentioned how she has lost several friends this year, and how each one had started to point out things like sunrises and little details in nature to her... before they passed on. She was very vocal about her concerns that she needed to become more aware of the beauty around her, around us. How she was beginning to realize that nature, and music, were there to bring us to another dimension, closer to the plain where there is nothing but joy.

It was an extremely deep conversation for 7am... and with a stranger, but I'm glad it was one we had. I'd never seen this woman on my train before... and I take the same train everyday... sitting in the same car.

So... what do you want from me, gods?

Why do you keep putting strangers in my life who force me to appreciate the beauty around me?

Am I not doing that enough already?

I believe I live a pretty simple life... and am appreciative of that which I have.

So what is it?

What do you want from me?

1 comment:

  1. Just passed through your blog for the first time in a while.. great new look:)
    Sounds like you're doing everything just right and thanks for the thought for day -just hit the spot. Hopefully it's not my last day though:)
    Irish Guy.

    ReplyDelete