12 September 2010

Hair!



I've got long hair.

My husband has long hair.

Our roommate has long hair.

What does all this mean? We have very slow running drains in our bathroom, ie - clogs!

I'm all for home remedies when it comes to fixing stuff, partly because chemicals are gross, partly because I'm cheap and if I already have something in my pantry that will fix the problem - I want to use it.


So today I found this home solution for clearing drains online and had to share it.



Looking for a way to avoid using Drano or some other terribly caustic substance to unclog your shower or sink drain? Look no further than your kitchen pantry for all the ingredients you need to unclog the pipes without causing damage to the environment.


Step 1 – Put the DRY baking soda down the drain. I use about 3/4 of a cup.

Step 2 – Pour 1/2 cup of vinegar down the drain after the baking soda. Be sure to cover the drain immediately afterwards with a rag or plug, filling the hole completely so nothing can escape. This is because the interaction of the two will cause a “mini volcano” that will want to come up and out of the drain..you want to keep it down there.

Step 3 – Leave this concoction in the drain for about 30 minutes. While you are waiting, boil a tea kettle full of water.

Step 4 – After 30 minutes, remove the plug and slowly pour the HOT water down the drain.


All done! Your drain should flow smoothly now. If not, just do it again. We normally have to do our tub drain often because of the wife’s long hair, but it cleans it out every time.



Awesome, right? Here's the link to where I found this most helpful info: LINK.

No comments:

Post a Comment