31 July 2009

(Friday, 24JUL09)



Day TWO Road Trip



430am wake up.
Not as bad.
Roll into the car.
Stop and grab a coffee before hittin the road.
The best thing about this road trip??
I’m not doing any of the driving!
I’m in the back of a minivan
(the middle seats taken out for extra comfort)
Reclined with my feet up and my headphones on.
Every morning I’ve been listening to sermons
From the skuuf (a church in plymouth, nh)
I haven’t been to this church.
But a friend told me about it.
I want to check it out
So I d/led their podcasts/sermons to listen to -
To decide if I’d enjoy going there.
I think I would.
I plan on checking it out when I get back to NH.
Anyway…
Watching the sunrise…
Sipping coffee…
The open road whizzing by…
God’s good word in my ear.
(That’s not nearly as southern holy-roller as it sounds.
Check out their podcasts, they’re pretty good.)

I’ve completed two books on this trip.
I finished christopher mooore’s fool
(I was halfway through when the trip started)
And I started/completed kurt vonnegut’s
Man without a country…
And have since started c s lewis’s
Screwtape letters.
Thank goodness I have 2 more books with me for the ride home.

I had fun twittering my way down through the country, too.
Not that anyone cares….
But it entertains me.
And, well, there were times in the back of that minivan
That I needed entertainment.
(alex’s fav band of the moment is jonas brothers.
I wouldn’t mind so much listening to all the constant adoration
If they actually had an ounce of talent,
But they don’t. ugh. Teenagers.)

Through north carolina we go….
Stopping at “south of the border”
A tourist enclave complete with
Giant neon gorillas.
I bought a patch and sticker.
Patch for my bag.
(my parents bought me a purse/bag
For my birthday and I decided it would
Be my summer road trip bag.
I’ve been collecting patches since…
And sewing them on.)
And a sticker for my jeep.
I’m a bumper sticker addict.
…since I haven’t had a car the last couple years…
They’ve ended up on my laptop.
It’s a bit ridiculous.
But it makes me smile.
That’s all that matters. =)

Down through south carolina into georgia.
Buy some georgia peaches
And talk to a migrant worker trying to get from
Where we were to charleston, sc.
He’d started in ft lauderdale, fl at a migrant workers farm.
He couldn’t get any work….
And was going home.
With nothing in his pocket.
I gave him a fig bar and a buck.
Hope he makes it home ok.

Into florida we go.
Through jacksonville.
It’s actually a city.
I didn’t realize it’s as big as it is.
I figured it for a giant trailer park.
My ignorance.

We turn into the interior at daytona beach…
And just in time.
That portion of the coast was in a tremendous storm….
With tornados!
There were several water spouts photographed off the coast….
And a tornado touched down just south of where we were….
When we were there!
The lightning was amazing to watch….
From the distance we were at.

Finally arrive at the time-share resort.
It’s giant.
I mean hugemungous.
The complex and our condo.
It’s a fantastic place….
And if we were going to disney, it would be prime location.
We’re not going to disney though….
Our plans are to do a lot of relaxing….
Enjoying the resort activities…
(pools, mini golf, bicycles, tennis, paddle boats, etc)
And go to busch gardens in tampa for a couple days.
None of us have ever been to that busch gardens.
We’ve all been to the one in williamsburg.
Several times.
It’s european themed.
And it’s pretty bad ass.
This one in tampa is african themed.
And it looks pretty bad ass.
I’ll let you know.
We’ve all been to disney and universal….
we ended up in orlando because my parents
had timeshare they needed to use up by the beginning of august
and we didn’t decide to do that until the end of june.
So our options, needless to say, were slim.
Orlando, palm springs or vegas.
Driving, as we were, from NH….
Orlando made the most sense.
Hence, we’re here.

No comments:

Post a Comment