14 August 2015

West Virginia {50 States of Yoga}




Hello... Wild and Wonderful friends!  So sorry for the delay in getting to the rest of this trip around the Virginias and Carolinas.  I took a few days off to travel to Las Vegas with my husband, renew our wedding vows, and visit with friends and family!  It's been an amazing few days in the desert... but back to sharing my 50 States of Yoga adventures with you.... and this state is.. West Virginia!



This trip was my first time in West Virginia.  I had an idea of what to expect, but feel like I had underestimated the beauty.  It truly is Wild.  The landscape was lush, verdant.  I was overwhelmed.  The air smelled green and thick with humidity.  I saw wild turkeys along the road side and crowed at them like a rooster... then realized that is not the sound a turkey makes.  {City girl.}  I came across Blessing Drive. I didn't know what was down there.. and figured it was private property, but definitely felt blessed for sharing this space with them, for this moment.



I stopped at New River Gorge - Canyon Rim Visitor Center in Lansing, WV.  The visitor center looks beautiful, but it closes at 5:00pm.  Unfortunately, I didn't get there until just after 5 and missed going inside.  They also don't have public restrooms outside of the visitor center, which is poor planning.  There were dozens of people who still came to this location to hike down to the bridge, and yet not a single porta-potty.  This didn't stop me from squatting on a tree.  When you gotta go...

The New River Gorge Bridge is huge!  I am always impressed with bridges over gaps like this.  {The one at Hoover Dam is another that amazes me!}  There is an easy walk down to a vista point, from there you can climb down a couple hundred stairs to a view from the river's edge.  I did not have the time to do this, but it is on my list of places to return to!

{I texted the below photo, along with another vista photo of WV, to my husband and he thought it looked like Iao Valley in Maui!  This part of West Virginia is so lush!}

New River Gorge Bridge


I found myself in Fayetteville, WV at Kula Community Yoga Studio for Beginner Yoga with Candace.  From the moment I walked into the studio, I knew why West Virginia was also Wonderful.  The warmth of the reception I received was unparalleled.  I chatted with Candace and a couple others {Sorry, I am awful with names!} about my yoga adventures this year, then settled into a class with Candace.  I learned the most amazing thing that evening... while in pigeon pose, engage the back toes and lift the knee of the extended leg off the mat.  This takes pressure off that knee cap.  I've done this in every pigeon pose since, and it has been so helpful.  You don't have to engage it the whole time, but it helps for repositioning and relieving the knee.  Give it a try next time you're in pigeon!

Candace and I also chit-chatted about soaking in epsom salts {a favorite thing of mine to do}.  She said her massage therapist recommends 8 lbs per bathtub.  8 POUNDS OF EPSOM SALTS!  That is a lot!  I use 1 lb. when I soak.  Hahah...  I think I will give it a try though...  it can't hurt.  We took a lot of pictures together and said goodbye.  It was so nice to meet these yogis.  They've left a mark on my heart.


Me and Candace, my teacher at Kula Yoga


My entire yoga class, after class!
I spent the night just south of Fayetteville in a comped room.  I have been learning the ropes of reward points and how to reap the benefits.  I got a credit card from a hotel chain, I book exclusively within their brands, and collect all the bonus points I can!  I had already cashed in a free night in Santa Cruz, CA for my birthday {in a jacuzzi tub suite!}.  This trip I cashed in for tonight at a mid-level hotel {which honestly wasn't any better than the low-level hotels/motels I have been staying at} as well as a higher level hotel in the chain the next night in NC.  The nice thing is, it costs the same to redeem points for a flea-bag motel, as it does for their nicest resort hotel!  I am enjoying the game of reward point earning. Haha...


Don't go far!  I'll be back with the Carolinas soon!  In the mean time.. check out my other 50 States of Yoga adventures!  Thanks for being!

1 comment:

  1. We looooved having you visit! Thanks for sharing your adventure!!

    ReplyDelete