05 July 2015

Nebraska {50 States of Yoga}




I rolled into Omaha, Nebraska with enough time to spare to check into my hotel and change into my yoga duds.  As mentioned in my Iowa post, I did have a couple of things that I might check out, if time permitted, but I had spent too much time getting here (and stopping at the aviation museum) that I didn't have time to explore Omaha.  Sorry Omahans!  One of the possible to do items was Lauritzen Gardens... and if I ever make it back to Omaha, I will do this.  The place looks beautiful.  Go check out their website.  Put it on your list of things to do... in Omaha.  You know, the next time you're in Nebraska!

Also quite beautiful was the Sound Method Yoga Studio.  They have a meditation room (where I imagine is where they do the sound stuff) and a separate yoga space.  My class was Gentle Vinyasa with Jen.  I feel like this trip was the "trip of wrists"!  I know I do not distribute weight properly onto my palms and fingertips... that I tend to hold the weight in my wrists.  Which, is not only bad for my wrists, but is painful and tiring.  My morning class in Des Moines, and this evening class in Omaha both included more down dogs, planks, and general weight on my wrists than previous classes have.  And I suffered for it.  I also learned in Jen's class that I have crappy arm strength!  My goodness, I was soo tired after her class.  I struggled to keep my arms raised during many of the warrior sequences we did.  I was sweating like I was in a Bikram yoga class... and it was not hot!  But I felt amazing afterwards.  Which is why I do this.


I have started to notice a pattern in my experience in yoga classes.  I start the class trying to do every pose in my strongest self.  What I mean is, as we are guided through the pose I put in 100%.  Then half way through class... I'm exausted.  And I grow weary and question why I am even there.  I am forced to start focusing more on my breathing.  And staying centered.  And on my mat.  I mentally come back to the class.  And once I re-focus, I acknowledge I am tired, but that I am also strong.  And I am here because I want to be here.  And then as my struggle climaxes, it's time for savasana.  This stillness lifts me.  It quiets my mind.  It softens my body.  My wrists are no longer angry.  My muscles aren't spasming.  And sometimes... I am blessed with a little more.

Occasionally I see colors in my stillness.  Omaha was one of those classes where I saw chakra auras during my savasana.  It happens rarely.  But when it does.... it's magic.  I saw mostly green with small flashes of blue.  Green is the color of the heart chakra.  Blue is the throat.   I won't go into details about my understanding of what these colors meant to me at that time... but it was magical and welcome.  A blessing I am grateful for.

{source}

 On the counter at Sound Method Yoga, I noticed flyers for a Curvy Yoga series.  This made me smile.  Part of my struggle with yoga is my body.  Through taking an occasional class for bigger bodied people, I have learned how to modify poses to suit my needs.  A simple thing like a forward bend and hugging your arms around the back of your knees isn't all that simple when you have a larger belly and/or breasts.  And so... knowing that I have started to learn how to accommodate my body in yoga... I am excited when I see classes being held to teach more and more people that yoga really is for every body.  Oh... and they had stickers, which Jen gave me one for free.  I love stickers!  It's definitely going on my car!


The next morning I couldn't sleep and was on the road by 7am.  I was heading towards Leavenworth, KS for a midday class and had a little time to kill en route.  I kept seeing signs for Lewis and Clark, but honestly I don't know much about Lewis and Clark - other than they were explorers of some sort.  That was about to change.  I soon saw a sign for Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center and thought, "This is my chance to learn more about them!"

 

 
I got off the exit and headed over the Nebraska border (the highway is on the Iowa/Missouri side of the Missouri River) towards the interpretive center.  Much to my disappointment, the center didn't open until 9am.. and I was there at 8:15am. Oh well.  I walked around the grounds, checked out the garden, and poked around the model boat.  I'll be honest... I don't know much more about Lewis and Clark now... than I did before I stopped, but I would like to check out the center some day.  It looks to have a comprehensive program.

 

Can you see the giant bumblebee!?!






Thank you for following along through Nebraska...  hang tight... more 50 States Of Yoga to follow!

2 comments:

  1. It was GREAT having you in class!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you're ever in town again, let me know....we can meet for a cup of coffee. :-) (Jen, Sound Method Yoga)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I will definitely look you up if I am ever through town again!

      Delete