28 June 2015

Oklahoma {50 States of Yoga}


 
 
OK!  Oklahoma....  I drove from Dallas to Norman, OK for a midday Gentle Yoga class at YogaLife with Becca.   The group of ladies in this class were very spirited and friendly.  If I lived in the area, I would love to get to know them more.  I enjoyed the variety of poses offered by Becca.  I love when I take a class that seems simple... the poses seem easy... but I end up sweating and struggling and shaking... It teaches me a great deal of patience.  It forces me to center onto my mat.  It's a great experience.


YogaLife Studio in Norman, OK
 
After class I needed some serious caffeine.  Becca pointed me towards Gray Owl Coffee in downtown Norman.  I got a quad shot iced latte and found my way back to the highway.  Southbound towards Texas, I went.
 

Gray Owl Coffee


I made a quick stop at the Chickasaw Nation Welcome Center in Davis.  The woman working there was so friendly and helpful with information about the area.  I didn't feel like I had enough time, but she had suggested going to the Chickasaw Cultural Center.  If I am ever back in the area, I will definitely make this part of my visit.  It looks like an amazing experience.  She also suggested checking out Turner Falls in Davis.  She advised it was a quick, 7 mile loop off the highway and back on again.  I decided to take this small detour, and got back on Highway 35.

I diverted off the highway where advised, towards Turner Falls.  I wasn't expecting anything like what I was greeted with.  Turner Falls - besides being a lovely waterfall {as seen below} - is a park with swimming pools, bath houses, caves, concessions... and a fee.  Again, if I had had the time to hang out for several hours, this would be a great destination to spend the day!  But I had a flight home to catch, in a different state, so I basically drove in through the pay entrance and directly out the exit.  Maybe next time!  If you continue on the road, after the park, you eventuall get to a lookout where you can view Turner Falls from above.  This is what I did.


77 foot Turner Falls




View of Davis, OK

 
I completed the loop through Davis, gawked at Turner Falls, and stopped at the beautiful vista above for a photo opportunity.  While I continued to drive south on highway 35, I was bombarded with sign after sign for Robertson's Ham in Marietta OK.  Repeating over and over again that they had ham sandwiches.  I thought, with this many signs... they might just have a good ham sandwich!  I stopped to grab a quick bite, write a couple of postcards, and take a break.  Their staff was super friendly and, well.. they make a good ham sandwich!
 
Robertson's Ham in Marietta, OK
 

 
After Marietta, I bee-lined for Dallas.  I hopped on my return flight, in the flight deck for another "work" flight, and made it home to San Francisco on time.  This trip was one of my shorter ones and I do wish I had had more time to explore Oklahoma.  But... it's not going anywhere... and now I know what I want to check out - next time I'm around!
 
 
 
Thanks for following along on my 50 States of Yoga adventure!  Don't forget to read Texas - the first half of this trip!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment