30 May 2015

Georgia {50 States of Yoga}

Wrens Nest Center for Wellbeing, Dalton, GA
 
Nichole, her daughter, and I rose early - 6am early - to get her daughter off to school and us onto the road to Georgia.  A couple of blessings I experienced this trip...  staying at a friend's home {instead of a hotel room}, having said friend be my chauffeur{!}, and having my friend be keenly aware of the time zones.  Okay... so the blessing is really my friend, Nichole.  Without her, I would have definitely screwed something up on this trip!  I would have been too tired to drive all the way to Kentucky the day before.  I would have never known that Georgia is an hour ahead - and would have definitely been late for our yoga class that morning.  I said "our" yoga class because Nichole decided to join me - in her first yoga class ever!  I can't tell you how excited that made me.  I have learned so much about myself through this yoga journey, that I was honored that she trusted in me to drag her to her first yoga class.


And what a beautiful space this yoga class was in!  We made it to Wrens Nest Center for Wellbeing in Dalton, GA just a few minutes late.  Fortunately, we were still welcomed into the class and settled in quickly.  We took the Adult Yoga class with Marcia.  Her class was light-hearted, but challenging.  Considering it was Nichole's first class {and that we didn't have an opportunity to discuss this with Marcia in advance because we were tardy} I did my best to share the modifications that I have learned with Nichole along the way.  After class we spoke with Marcia and Andrew {a student in the class}.  Andrew was wearing a tie-dye, so of course I had to comment on it... because, duh - I LOVE tie-dyes!  Well, just my luck, he makes tie-dyes and had some great advice on how to make the vibrant colors stick.  Nichole and I spoke to Marcia about modifications for beginners and more voluptuous yogis.  Marcia offered some great advice, then gave us a guide the center had created for modifications during sun salutations.  I thought this was amazing.  At first I had felt a little bad that Nichole may not have had the best taste of yoga during her first class, but getting this book for her to reference and begin a home practice at her own speed made me realize we were definitely in the right place at the right time.


Nichole, Marcia and me!
 
After class we roamed around Wrens Nest's grounds.  They have a bountiful garden growing with every kind of vegetable and herb you could imagine.  They even had several types of berry bushes.  If I lived closer to Dalton, GA I would definitely be back to their center.  They offer interesting events {such as an Ayurveda book discussion and a class on the healing arts of gardening} and their space is so inviting.  Natural spaces with large windows overlooking lush gardens. I would love to just hang out, have a cup of tea and watch the bees and butterflies.


 
 
But, back on the road we go to... Chattanooga!  I know, I know... Chattanooga is in Tennessee... and this in my Georgia post.  But.. that is what we did.  We drove back towards Murfreesboro, and spent a couple hours having a lovely picnic on the Tennessee River in downtown Chattanooga.  We walked around the aquarium and then headed to the North Shore.  Over on the North Shore we ran into a street artist, Duncan Kimsey, who illustrates the sides of old brick buildings in the alley ways with chalk.  He's such a talented young man.  When we bumped into him, he was clearing a space to start a mural as an homage to B.B. King.  We didn't see the finished project, but he said he would email it to me... so if he does, I will share it here!  Otherwise, you can see some of his art below.


Our picnic lunch view of the Tennessee River

North Shore area of Chattanooga





Along the sidewalks in the North Shore are instructions on how to do different dances!





Back on the road again, we took a short detour to Bell Buckle - home of the annual RC Cola and Moon Pie festival.  Of course we enjoyed both during our visit.  This downtown area is really not much more than what you see in the photo below.  There are at most a dozen stores - mostly full of antiques and knick knacks.  It's definitely a great little place to stop and grab a snack.  Nichole and I struck up a conversation with a shopkeeper about out 16 year gap in friendship - and how that has made little difference.  An amazing take-away for this trip for me.  How we were friends so long ago... our paths split.. our lives grew to very different places.. and yet spiritually we are still so connected and evolved in such similar ways.  I know there is a reason that Nichole and I have reconnected and I'm grateful to the stars that realigned our paths.


Bell Buckle, TN.  Git yer Moon Pie on!
 

Back in Murfreesboro that night Nichole made me a delicious dinner, chicken enchiladas, that we enjoyed while sitting outside in her backyard with a fire... and fireflies!  The last time I remember seeing fireflies was too long ago.  They're such a magical creature.  I love all the space Nichole and her family have to enjoy the outside.  And considering our current drought situation in CA, I was also quite jealous of all the green!


 
Nichole's backyard retreat
 
I'm a little blury... but pointing out the awesome fire us ladies got going!

Sweet Victoria showcasing her Olaf PJs.  She also had an adorable, loving kitty named Olaf!


Other states on this adventure include Kentucky and Tennessee!
Or you can see all my 50 States of Yoga adventures here.

No comments:

Post a Comment