01 March 2015

What I'm Packing for Paris - 5 Day Trip




We're not leaving for Paris for another week!  But I'm so excited to go... and I'm working 9 graveyard shifts in a row... before we go... so I don't really have a ton of free time.  Or so I am telling myself.  Trying to convince myself it's okay to pack a week in advance!


Traveling Outfits

Traveling to and from Paris we will be flying "standby" or for the airlines folks out there... non-rev.  What that means is we pay a fraction of the cost of a regular ticket {because I work for an airline}, we hang out at the airport and pray a seat is open for us on our desired flight, and we have to dress a little nicer.  The last part has gotten very lax in the last or so years 15 years I have been in and out of the industry.  To fly standby on my own airline it is totally acceptable to wear jeans and a t-shirt, but that is not the case when flying on another airline... internationally.  So - I will do my best to look smart, but also be comfortable.

The blouse is covered in some horse-buckle looking print... but I love it.  It's from Talbots and screams old lady with money.  Haha..  Maybe it doesn't really - but I love it anyway.  I will be wearing that blouse and the black pants to travel to Paris.  The pants are Travex by Eddie Bauer and I bought them specifically for this trip.  It's the first time I have splurged on a pricey item that boasts perks for those long weary flights.  We'll see how they hold up.  I'll also be wearing my Clarks boots {in a below photo}, so I won't have to carry them... as they're heavier than my other shoe option.  The black knit top is a long sleeve, cotton shirt from Woman Within.  I will wear that on my return flight, with the same pants, and either my sweater or cardigan on top.  {I realize now that the black top and black pants are so close to each other in this photo, that it's hard to tell them apart. Oops!}



Outfits for Paris

My goal was to keep the palette simple and similar.  I've had a recent interest in packing and fashion and have read a lot of articles on what to pack, how to pack, etc.  One common thread is the color palette.  Keep it similar and simple.  I chose khaki/olive on the bottom and blues on top.  My blouses from left to right:  Gap striped peasant top, Talbots striped short sleeve blouse, Faded Glory {from Walmart} batik-like print peasant top, and a basic chambray blouse from JC Penney.  On the bottom I will alternate between olive cargo pants from St. John's Bay {JC Penney} and dark khaki ankle pants from Liz Claiborne {JC Penney}.  I figured with this combination of things I can where whatever shirt "I'm feeling" that day, with whichever pants - as they all pretty much coordinate.



Layers

I'm a big fan of layering.  And the temperatures in Paris will be high 40s to low 50s during the day and low 40s to high 30s at night.  For most of you in the US that sounds delightful right now, I'm sure!  But for me, that's chilly.  It'll be 15-20 degrees colder for us and so I am packing plenty of layers.  I will have a simple gray cardigan {from Croft & Barrow at Sears} and a heather gray cable knit pullover {St. John's Bay at JC Penney}.  The cable knit sweater came with a matching cowl scarf that I think will prove to be useful in Paris.



And More Layers

My top most layer will be a nylon, quilted, motorcycle jacket from Lane Bryant.  I love this jacket.  It is cut perfectly and gives me a nice shape.  It's also warm without being bulky.  Or, I think it's going to be warm.  I've not had a chance to wear it here, as it just hasn't gotten cold enough.  I will also have my leopard fleece gloves {Old Navy} and a prayer shawl that I got in the most recent BuddhiBox.  Add in a leopard printed umbrella {Target} and I should be ready for any inclement weather that comes at us.  Those are the Clarks boots that I will be wearing and Minnetonka moccasins I'll be bringing to alternate with.  I find it really important for myself to not wear the same pair of shoes every day when I am doing a lot of walking.  My feet are happier with the variety, I guess.



The Bling!

I thought about bringing jewelery, but have decided to just wear one necklace the whole time.  The necklace is referred to as "the married lady necklace".  It's a gold heart pendant with a few small diamonds in it hung from a delicate chain.  My husband bought it for me for our 2nd anniversary.  Shortly there after, we saw similar necklaces on other married women... hence the name it was given.  I don't wear it very often.  It's not really my style.  And don't worry - my husband knows this {now}.  But I always wear it for job interviews.  I wear it for special occasions.  And I thought if I wore it for our whole Paris trip it would be a nice little homage to my love.  So, the married lady necklace is coming... with this ridiculous leopard ring!  Haha... I got this a few weeks ago in Vegas at the Excalibur.  It is gaudy and perfect.  I figured high-fashion Paris would be the perfect place for it to make it's debut!  Haha...



So all of this will go into my carry-on suitcase with the necessary undergarments and toiletries for 5 days, 4 nights.  I'm sorry the photos aren't that great - this is my first time photographing my outfits and sharing them... so I tried to create a neutral background but... well... you saw!

No comments:

Post a Comment