15 January 2015

Feminine Bathroom {Vagabond Villa}

 
My style of home decorating is very eclectic.  I tend to lean towards bright colors, bold patterns, and a mix of ethnic fabrics.  When we moved into our Vagabond Villa the bathroom had pastel yellow and pink tiles.... everywhere... and drab {poorly painted} yellow walls.  Ugh.  Well, I just couldn't see how I would make my usual style work.  So I took a complete 180!  I embraced the pastels and went very sweet and feminine.



I started with this classic shower curtain - pink faux bois by Laura Ashley.  It's just beautiful.  A few years back I picked up a box of fabric scraps from craigslist and this was in it.  In perfect condition.  I'm fairly certain they had never used it.  Because it was just so gorgeous, I've held onto it all this time and I'm so glad I did!  It looks like it was made for this bathroom.






I sewed this curtain and counter "cover" from coordinating fabric.  The fabrics have pink and goldenrod yellow in them and a very 1950s feel.





The pan on the counter corralling our brushes came from my Nana's kitchen.




Here's my DIY storage - a quick fix for when you don't have enough space in the shower / tub.  I used a short tension shower rod between the wall and cabinet - but you can use a long one the length of the tub from wall to wall, too.  I then hung shower head caddies from IKEA for extra storage!  I put suction cup hooks on the wall, but I bet if you needed more hook storage you could also add hooks to the rod.


The cast iron hook I picked up for a few dollars at an antique store somewhere in the Midwest on a road trip years ago.  And of course I have a mason jar in the bathroom somewhere.  They're so versatile - I use them for everything.







The basket I had gotten years ago and it started as a natural brown color.  I sprayed it gold when we were at the Cherryland Cottage to coordinate with our Moroccan bathroom decor.  Here I didn't think the gold worked as well, so I taped a cross in the middle and sprayed it white.  The shelf brackets are vintage and came from that same road trip mentioned above.  The artwork under the shelf my husband got from a thrift store in Berkeley before we met.






These hooks were on the living room wall when we moved in.... and already pink.  I figured they made more sense in the bathroom.




The frame was a few dollars at a local thrift store and the artwork is hand drawn by a friend who passed away a few years ago.  It's a nice little tribute to her.




The deer head was originally in my bedroom holding necklaces in past homes... but I thought it would add a little bit of manliness to our very feminine bathroom.

I've really enjoyed decorating in a style that I'm not accustomed to!  Eventually I will paint the bathroom white... that yellow is just overwhelming... especially with all the yellow tile.  And, in person, you can tell it is painted very poorly.  This annoys me a little, but not enough to paint it right now.  Haha... I'll get to it someday.

I can't wait to share my other rooms in our home with you as they come together!  Check back... and follow along on Instagram - I post pics there all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment