26 December 2013

To New Year's Resolution or Not?





Image from here.

This Saturday I will be having some girlfriends over for our 3rd annual Vision Board making event. Since I've been sober {4 years!} I have had less and less interest in parties, especially late night celebrations like New Year's Eve. So instead of celebrating a new year approaching with a late night of debauchery, I cherish my time with friends, being creative, and manifesting positive visions for the new year!

My vision boards have become my new year's resolutions. I paste on all the things I would like to accomplish in the coming year. Practice more yoga. Meditate more often. Travel with my husband. Exercise. But... they're also things that sort of fall out of my head.... even though they never fall out of sight {My board is in my bedroom to see every day!}. I think the shiny, new feeling wears off and I just forget about it. Forget about the goals I've set for myself. Forget about the promises I've made to me.

Well, I have just read this article, Instead Of Making A New Year's Resolution, Try This by Dr. Paula Watkins, and I'm newly inspired!  In a nutshell, Dr. Watkins suggests instead of making a year long resolution, make a resolution for a moon cycle. As soon as I read that, I had to check when the next new moon was. It's probably no coincidence that it falls on January 1, 2014. That is all the nudging I need. This weekend when I make my vision board, I am going to make promises to myself again, paste things that I want to give myself - like some of the old ones, practice more yoga, meditate more often, but some new ones too... ones that I can reflect on, every new moon, and choose another goal, another vision to focus on for a moon cycle.

1 comment:

  1. TAW ~ The Artist's Way recommends doing this every month as well. (Or whenever you feel the need to refresh.) My girlfriends do their annual Treasure Mapping in late March, or whenever the New Aeries Moon is in the whatever house of that one doohicky. I really had a blast participating. I think when we create with our friends, it elevates the energy level, making more things possible! Thank you for posting about this!

    ReplyDelete