07 August 2013

Top 10 Travel Essentials


Top 10 Travel Essentials


I love to travel.  It's in my blood.  I live on the Left Coast and my family is all on the Right.  This means, even when I am not traveling for the joy of it, I travel anyway.

My top 10 travel essentials for those long, cross country flights are:

1. Large Scarf / Shawl.
Preferably one that is brightly colored (it's good for my mood) and big (works great as a blanket when it gets too cold in flight).

2. Big Chunky Sweater
Nothing is more divine when you're tired and cranky and cold (Why is it always so cold on airplanes?) than a comfy sweater to curl up in.

3. Sweat Pants or Leggings
Things swell on planes.  I swell on planes.  I LOVE Hanes black sweatpants for flying.  The black color makes them more sophistcated and disguises the fact that you're wearing sweatpants.  They're comfy and warm.  Summertime though, leggings are best.  Nothing is worse than getting off a plane into 100 degree weather wearing heavy sweatpants.  BONUS:  These are super affordable.

4. Headphones
Your preference here, but I prefer ear buds as they take up very little room.  My husband, he prefers big clunky headphones, as they drown out more noise.  Either way, most airplanes now have TVs and all kinds of other awesome stuff you can listen to.  Why not bring your own earphones and take advantage of the free entertainment!?

5. Eye Mask
I have to have darkness to sleep.  Create the space, if not just psychologically, for your body to wind down and peace out.  Even if you can't sleep on a flight, a little zen time can go a long way.

6. Thick Socks
I wear sandals nearly every day.  So I have to consciously remember to pack socks for my flight.  It's so nice to take off your shoes, put on a pair of cushy socks and let your piggies stretch out.  Just make sure you don't travel in constraining boots or shoes, as you might have a hard time trying to get them back on after the long flight and a little swelling.

7. Water Bottle
More and more airports have water filling stations through the security check points.  Use them.  It's super important to hydrate in flight and asking for 6 of the mini water bottles is just tacky.  Bring your own.  If you end up at an airport that doesn't have a filling station, just ask any of the restaurants.  I've never been told no.

8. Almonds
Or any other nuts.  Nuts are a great snack to carry with you on a flight.  They're easily portable and are packed with protein and good fats that will keep you satisfied until you can get off and have a decent meal.

9. Kindle Fire
Or iPad or whatever tablet is of your liking.  These are versatile little buggers.  Connect to WiFi and you can do a little work, stream a little hulu or read a book about your destination.  I don't know what I did before I had my Kindle Fire.

10. Neck Pillow
Neck pillows aren't just for necks.  I'm a window seat person and I often use my pillow under my "window" arm for a little added comfort, up against the side of the airplane for my head to rest against or tucked down behind the small of my back for support.  In the ever narrowing spaces they sardine us into, it's important to keep yourself as comfortable as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment