15 October 2010

All Places Holy.



I love visiting hallowed places... filled with rich history of a people's struggle to express their beliefs. So when a co-worker mentioned he had been to the Temple of the Tooth in Sri Lanka, home of a tooth that belonged to the Buddha himself... well, I had to know more.

And so a google search later... I discovered this incredible website:

Sacred Destinations

Check it out... you won't be disappointed. It probably has something in your city listed, too.


One place I've "visited" on there today is Sacre Coeur in Paris. What incredible memories that brought back for me. My first trip to Europe was to Paris, just a month after my father died - ten years ago. I went to Sacre Coeur, high up on Mont Martre. It was breath taking... deeply sacred. I stepped inside... and lit a candle for my father. The dark emotions of his sudden death (that I still didn't have any idea of how to process) combined with the swirling jubilance of my first adventure abroad - my newest taste of freedom - created for a very intense experience in that basilica. One I'll surely never forget.



Photo Credit


No comments:

Post a Comment